Sunday, May 4, 2008

Space Camp

In fifth grade we went to Space Camp. It was really fun. Not everyone in our grade went since it was during school. Only the people who wanted to. But everyone should have. It was really fun. On the way to the airport, I rode with Hayden and we watched a space movie. I was so excited to go to space camp. I think the people in my sleeping room were Summer, Michaela, Amaris, and Natasha. I don't remember very well, so that might not be right, but oh well. My team was the Bean team. I think I remember that Robbie, Zach, Hayden, Carly, Eli, and Kim were on my team. We drew a picture of some beans for our flag thing. It was hot because it was in Huntsville, Alabama. We did simutarions like the one were you sit in a chair thing and it spins you around in every direction possible. Some girls got a rash from the straps or something. We also did one were we got in this harness and then we bounced. It was like walking on the moon except with more gravity. We made these rockets, but Space Camp had recently decided not to have any fire so we couldn't launch them. They were kind of confusing to build. We did make these paper rockets and fired them. The meals came on trays. We ate sandwichs and chips and stuff like that. If you wanted to, you could buy Dip N Dots for $3. I bought starbursts and once I got Dip N Dots. I remember that we went to bed around ten and woke up around 7. I was really tired and it felt really early when we got up. There were no counselors in our room. People would just come in to check that our room was clean, to tell us it was time to go to sleep, and tell us it was time to get up. One day we did this activity where some of us would go down to "Mars" where there were some red rocks. We would make some observations and go back up. Some people had to stay in the top part the whole time. I don't know what they did. If you were going to Mars, you had to wait for the light to turn green. One time we did a flight simulation. One time I was with Berkleigh (I don't know if that's how you spell it) and we had to build this one thing before the space shuttle left without us and we got burned up in the atmosphere. It was hard because we were sitting on this thing and we couldn't walk around. We were wearing these gloves that made it hard to move and do anything with our hands. We didn't succeed so Michaela and everyone left us in space. The second time, I was a commander. I don't remember anything about that except seeing earth on the little t.v. screen. I remember it was confoozling because we had this script and you couldn't hear people and they kept messing up and people would forget to say their lines so it was hard. One time, we did a scavenger hunt in this museum type thing. I worked with Summer. In the same musuem type thing, we had to take notes or something, and I didn't have a pencil so I tried using my finger nail and my shoelace. That didn't work so well. Finally the chaperone person noticed and let me borrow a pencil. I had to copy the notes that I missed. There was a rock climbing wall at Space Camp. I did the easy part and got to the top. There were rides. For some of the rides, since I got motion sick, I sat out with Zach and Robbie. I did do that one that goes up and down though. I don't remember what it was called. It was like that one ride that goes slowly up and then suddenly drops except it would go higher and it would go up and down. And up and down. There was another ride that I think was called the triple G. It was in this circular thing and you strap yourself to the walls and it goes roung and round really fast. It was fun. On one of the last days of Camp, we played Space Bowl. My question was something like, "What sandwich did (enter that astronaut's name here) eat in space?" The answer was corned-beef and I got it right! There were lots of questions about things we had learned those past 5-6 days. Our team won! Everyone who went to space camp got a shirt. I don't know where mine is anymore. On the plane ride home, Summer and I thought we would do homework, but we ate the whole way home. It was about two hours. We ate our lunch, then we ate Pringles and we ate sour straws. We were very surprised that we had only eaten for the whole ride!

-Melissa

2 comments:

fish n' chips95 said...

i don't want to read ur posts! they r sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long!!!

melissa said...

sorry! it's hard to stop.